|
![]()
Twenty—First Sunday in Ordinary Time — Proper Sixteen — Eleventh Sunday After Pentecost (Click Here For Music) Author: John Ylvisaker, 1985 (1937-2017) Borning Cry: John Ylvisaker, 1985 (1937-2017) "I was there to hear your borning cry, I'll be there when you are old. I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold. I was there when you were but a child, with a faith to suit you well; In a blaze of light you wandered off to find where demons dwell." "When you heard the wonder of the Word I was there to cheer you on; You were raised to praise the living Lord, to whom you now belong. If you find someone to share your time and you join your hearts as one, I'll be there to make your verses rhyme from dusk 'till rising sun." In the middle ages of your life, not too old, no longer young, I'll be there to guide you through the night, complete what I've begun. When the evening gently closes in, and you shut your weary eyes, I'll be there as I have always been with just one more surprise." "I was there to hear your borning cry, I'll be there when you are old. I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold." God of power and justice, like Jeremiah you weep over those who wander from you turn aside to other gods, and enter into chaos and destruction. By your tears and through your mercy, teach us your ways and write them on our hearts so that we may follow faithfully the path you show us. Amen. —https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/ Jeremiah 1:4-10 1:4 Now the word of God came to me saying, 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." 1:6 Then I said, "Ah, my God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." 1:7 But God said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a boy'; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. 1:8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says God." 1:9 Then the God put out his hand and touched my mouth; and said to me, "Now I have put my words in your mouth. 1:10 See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant."
Psalm 71:1-6 71:1 In you, O God, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. 71:2 In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me and save me. 71:3 Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. 71:4 Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel. 71:5 For you, O God, are my hope, my trust, O God, from my youth. 71:6 Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you.
Hebrews 12:18-29 12:18 You have not come to something that can be touched, a blazing fire, and darkness, and gloom, and a tempest, 12:19 and the sound of a trumpet, and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that not another word be spoken to them. 12:20 (For they could not endure the order that was given, "If even an animal touches the mountain, it shall be stoned to death." 12:21 Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, "I tremble with fear.") 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, 12:23 and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 12:24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel. 12:25 See that you do not refuse the one who is speaking; for if they did not escape when they refused the one who warned them on earth, how much less will we escape if we reject the one who warns from heaven! 12:26 At that time God's voice shook the earth; but now God has promised, "Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heaven." 12:27 This phrase, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of what is shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain. 12:28 Therefore, since we are receiving a Kin-Dom that cannot be shaken, let us give thanks, by which we offer to God an acceptable worship with reverence and awe; 12:29 for indeed our God is a consuming fire. —
Luke 13:10-17 13:10 Now he was teachng in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. 13:11 And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. 13:12 When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, "Woman, you are set free from your ailment." 13:13 When he laid his hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God. 13:14 But the leader of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the sabbath, kept saying to the crowd, "There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be cured, and not on the sabbath day." 13:15 But the Jesus answered him and said, "You hypocrites! t9Does not each of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger, and lead it away to give it water? 13:16 And ought not this woman, a daughter of Sarah and Abraham whom Evil bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on the sabbath day?" 13:17 When he said this, all his opponents were put to shame; and the entire crowd was rejoicing at all the wonderful things that he was doing.
Prayer Living God, you formed us in the womb and appointed us to be prophets to the nations. Stretch out your hand to cure our infirmity and dispel our fear, that we may know the freedom of serving you in Christ and proclaim the wonders you have done. Amen. —https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/ Prayer Of Intercession We praise your abiding guidance, O God, for you sent us Jesus, our Teacher and Messiah, to model for us the way of love for the whole universe. We offer these prayers of love on behalf of ourselves and our neighbors, on behalf of your creation and our fellow creatures. —https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/ We pray for the church: the people coming to worship, the people worshipping elsewhere or at home, the people who follow in the inner sense of what is good and what is not. O God, in your compassion and mercy, hear our prayer. We pray for the world: may all nations and people come together, cooperating in taking care of your Earth, bringing an end to warfare and violence, find ways to negotiate peace and justice. O God, in your compassion and mercy, hear our prayer. We pray for those who suffer and in times of loss: may their always be times 0f hope, may there be care that shares the pain and brings comfort, may there we assurance that you are the Great Physician who is always with us and sharing our experience. O God, in your compassion and mercy, hear our prayer. We pray for those are leaders of nations: may a wisdom of truth be known and direct the decisions that are made, may the well-being of the common good be always in mind and action, may the way that those who are different be transformed undoing the dynamic of "we and they", may there not be enemies or scapegoats, and may there be acceptance of the diversity that enriches life. O God, in your compassion and mercy, hear our prayer. We pray for those who have died: may their presence with all the saints of glory we reason for more praise to You, may the memory of them be a means of keeping them in heart and mind, may the memories that bring pain and the suffering of unresolved issues be embrace in the possibility of reconciliation and healing. O God, in your compassion and mercy, hear our prayer. Loving God, open our ears to hear your word and draw us closer to you, that the whole world may be one with you as you are one with us in your Anointed One, Jesus, our Messiah. Amen. —https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/ Prayer of Dedication Merciful God, as we pour out the wealth you have entrusted to us, the parched places are watered; as we cease our evil talk, the rising light of peace dawns in the darkness. So lead us into faithful living that your promises may unfold in us as a woman's back, long bent, unfolds at Christ's command, to the praise of your holy name. Amen. —https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/ Song (Click Here For Music) Author: Julian. of Norwich; Alterer: Jean Janzen (1933-) Arranged: Tom Trenney Mothering God, you gave me birth in the bright morning of this world. Creator, source of every breath, you are my rain, my wind, my sun. Mothering Christ, you took my form, offering me your food of light, grain...of life, and grape of love, your very body for my peace. Mothering Spirit, nurturing one, in arms of patience hold me close, so that in faith I root and grow until I flower, until I know. Go in peace to love God and your neighbor. And may the blessing of the Holy, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One, rest upon you, forevermore. Amen. |
|
WORSHIP IN INCLUSIVE LANGUAGE AND PROGRESSIVE THOUGHT
WHY A BLOG?
As a clergyperson with a disability now retired, this is my humble attempt to provide a ministry that some will find helpful. I have always focused on be inclusive and have struggled with the church's tradition of referring to God and humankind with masculine names and pronouns. Since the 1970's, thanks to my dear sister-in-law, I have been aware of the discrimination of women and have worked in the parish and community for equal rights with an equity of access to the resources that add blessing to life. I hope this site is of meaning to those who read it and worship with me and others within it. Peace.
