![]() Holy Week Day 5Good Friday, 04/13/2022Jesus Is CrucifiedA Liturgy For Worship and Mediation |
||||
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Opening Words Blessed is the One who comes in God's Most Holy Name. Hosanna in the highest! Prayer For Holy Week Grieving God, on the cross your Only Begotten and Beloved One embraced death even as he had embraced life: faithfully and with good courage. Grant that we who have been born out of his wounded side may hold fast to our faith in him exalted and may find mercy in all times of need. Amen. Song (Click Here For Music) —Isaac Watts (1707) and did my Sovereign die! Would he devote that sacred head for sinners such as I? Was it for crimes that I have done, he groaned upon the tree? Amazing pity! Grace unknown! And love beyond degree! Well might the sun in darkness hide, and shut its glories in, when God, the mighty maker, died for his own creature's sin. Thus might I hide my blushing face while his dear cross appears; dissolve my heart in thankfulness, and melt mine eyes to tears. But drops of tears can ne'er repay the debt of love I owe. Here, Lord, I give myself away; 'tis all that I can do. Prayer The Only Begotten and Beloved One of God is our peace; in his flesh he has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us. He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace, and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus putting to death that hostility through it. So he came and proclaimed peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near; for through him both of us have access in one Spirit to God. Amen. Readings ♦ Luke 23:34—Father, forgive them. 26 As they led Jesus away, they seized Simon—a Cyrenean who was just coming in from the fields—and forced him to carry the cross behind Jesus. 27 A large crowd was following, many of them women who were beating their breasts and wailing for him. 28 At one point, Jesus turned to these women and said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, don’t weep for me! Weep rather for yourselves and for your children! 29 The time is coming when it will be said, ‘Blessed are the childless, the wombs that have never given birth and the breasts that have never nursed.’ 30 Then people will say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us!’ and to the hills, ‘Cover us up!’ 31 For if they do these things when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?” 32 Two others were also led off with Jesus, criminals who were to be put to death. 33 When they had reached the place called The Skull, they crucified Jesus there—together with the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. 34 And Jesus said, “Abba forgive them. They don’t know what they are doing.” Then they divided his garments, rolling dice for them. 35 The people stood there watching. The rulers, however, jeered him and said, “He saved others, let him save himself—if he really is the Messiah of God, the Chosen One!” 36 The soldiers also mocked him. They served Jesus sour wine 37 and said, “If you are really the King of the Jews, save yourself!” 38 There was an inscription above Jesus that read, “This is the King of the Jews.” 39 One of the criminals who hung there beside him insulted Jesus, too, saying, “Are you really the Messiah? Then save yourself—and us!” 40 But the other answered the first with a rebuke: “Don’t you even fear God? 41 We are only paying the price for what we have done, but this one has done nothing wrong!” 42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your glory.” 43 Jesus replied, “The truth is, today you’ll be with me in paradise!” 23 After the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they took his clothing and divided it into four pieces, one piece for each soldier. They also took the seamless robe. 24 The soldiers said to one another, “Let’s not tear it. We can throw dice to see who will get it.” This happened in order to fulfill the scripture, “They divided my garments among them and, for my clothing, they cast lots.” And this is what they did. 25 Standing close to Jesus’ cross were his mother; his mother’s sister, Mary, the wife of Clopas; and Mary of Magdala. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing there, he said to his mother, “Here is your son.” 27 Then he said to his disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that moment, the disciple took her into his household. 33 When noon came, darkness fell on the whole countryside and lasted until about three in the afternoon. 34 At three, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, eloi, lama sabachthani?” which means, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” 35 A few of the bystanders who heard it remarked, “Listen! He is calling on Elijah!” 36 Someone ran and soaked a sponge in sour wine and stuck it on a reed to try to make Jesus drink, saying, “Let’s see if Elijah comes to take him down.” 46 At that hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” which means, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” 47 This made some of the bystanders who heard it remark, “He is calling for Elijah!” 48 One of them hurried off and got a sponge. He soaked the sponge in cheap wine and, sticking it on a reed, tried to make Jesus drink. 49 The others said, “Leave him alone. Let’s see whether Elijah comes to his rescue.” 28 After this, Jesus knew that now all was completed, and to fulfill scripture perfectly, he said, “I am thirsty.” 29 There was a jar of cheap wine nearby, so they put a sponge soaked in the wine on a hyssop stick and raised it to his lips. 30 Jesus took the wine and said, “It is finished.” Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. 44 It was about noon, and darkness fell on the whole land until three in the afternoon, 45 because of an eclipse of the sun. Then the curtain in the sanctuary was torn in two, 46 and Jesus uttered a loud cry and said, “Abba, into your hands I commit my spirit.” Saying this, Jesus breathed for the last time. 47 The centurion who saw this glorified God, saying, “Surely this one was innocent.” 48 When the crowds that had gathered for the spectacle saw what had happened, they returned home beating their breasts and weeping. 49 All the acquaintances of Jesus and the women who had come with him from Galilee stood at a distance, looking on. —Priests for Equality. The Inclusive Bible (p. 2372). Sheed & Ward. THE REPROACHES O my people, O my Church, what have I done to you, or in what have I offended you? I led you forth from the land of Egypt and delivered you by the waters of baptism, but you have prepared a cross for your Savior. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I led you through the desert forty years and fed you with manna; I brought you through times of persecution and of renewal and gave you my body, the bread of heaven; but you have prepared a cross for your Savior. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I made you branches of my vineyard and gave you the water of salvation, but when I was thirsty you gave me vinegar and gall and pierced with a spear the side of your Savior. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I went before you in a pillar of cloud, but you have led me to the judgment hall of Pilate. I brought you to a land of freedom and prosperity, but you have scourged, mocked, and beaten me. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I gave you a royal scepter, and bestowed the keys to the Kin-Dom, but you have given me a crown of thorns. I raised you on high with great power, but you have hanged me on the cross. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. My peace I gave, which the world cannot give, and washed your feet as a servant, but you draw the sword to strike in my name and seek high places in my Kin-Dom. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I accepted the cup of suffering and death for your sakes, but you scatter and deny and abandon me. I sent the Spirit of truth to lead you, but you close your hearts to guidance. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I called you to go and bring forth fruit, but you cast lots for my clothing. I prayed that you all may be one, but you continue to quarrel and divide. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I grafted you into the tree of my chosen people Israel, but you turned on them with persecution and mass murder. I made you joint heirs with them of my covenants, but you made them scapegoats for your own guilt. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. I came to you as the least of your brothers and sisters. I was hungry but you gave me no food, thirsty but you gave me no drink. I was a stranger but you did not welcome me, naked but you did not clothe me, sick and in prison but you did not visit me. Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal One, have mercy upon us. Prayer For the Day In this holy time, as we remember the sacrifice of the cross, we offer the prayers of our hearts, that through them we may be transformed to be servants of justice, love and peace. Make us steadfast witnesses of our Savior's reign, that we may live in the pattern of Christ, who was faithful in all things, even death, and whose darkest hour gives light and hope. Amen. Prayer Lamb of God, being human, you knew the pain the cross would inflict; being divine, you knew it was the only way we could be redeemed. We praise you for willingly suffering a cruel death so that we may experience the glories of heaven. And so we thank you for the redemption of creation . . . for the sacrifice of your servants around the world . . . for your work as it continues in our community . . . for the sacrifice of those who serve us in your name . . . for our redemption . . . While your death and resurrection assure us of your victory over evil, we have yet to experience that reality in its fullest. And so today we pray for creation and its care . . . for the nations of the world . . . for our nation and its leaders . . . for this community and those who are in authority . . . for the church universal as it works on your behalf . . . for this local church in its ministry . . . for persons with particular needs . . . O God, all merciful and compassionate": Hear our prayer. Amen. Prayer of Jesus Our Loving God in heaven, Mother, Father, blessed One like a parent whose love for their children is without bounds, hallowed be your Name, Your Kin-Dom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil. For the dominion, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen. Going Forth Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. Let us go forth to love. Song What wondrous love is this, O my soul! What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss to bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul, to bear the dreadful curse for my soul! When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down, when I was sinking down, sinking down, when I was sinking down beneath God’s righteous frown, Christ laid aside his crown for my soul, for my soul, Christ laid aside his crown for my soul. To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing; to God and to the Lamb I will sing; to God and to the Lamb, who is the great I AM, while millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing, while millions join the theme, I will sing. And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on; and when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on. And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing his love for me, and through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on, and through eternity I’ll sing on. |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
WORSHIP IN INCLUSIVE LANGUAGE AND PROGRESSIVE THOUGHT
HOLY WEEK—GOOD FRIDAY
WHY A BLOG?
As a clergyperson with a disability now retired, this is my humble attempt to provide a ministry that some will find helpful. I have always focused on be inclusive and have struggled with the church's tradition of referring to God and humankind with masculine names and pronouns. Since the 1970's, thanks to my dear sister-in-law, I have been aware of the discrimination of women and have worked in the parish and community for equal rights with an equity of access to the resources that add blessing to life. I hope this site is of meaning to those who read it and worship with me and others within it. Peace.

