WORSHIP IN INCLUSIVE LANGUAGE AND PROGRESSIVE THOUGHT

SUNDAY—February 6, 2022

THE FIFTH SUNDAY AFTER THE EPIPHANY

THE FIFTH SUNDAY OF ORDINARY TIME



A LITURGY FOR WORSHIP



GATHERING SONG
Holy, Holy, Holy! Blest God Almighty!
(Click Here For Music)

Holy, Holy, Holy! Blest God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, Holy, Holy! Merciful and Mighty!
God in Three Persons, blessed Trinity!

Holy, Holy, Holy! All the saints adore Thee,
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
Cherubim and seraphim falling down before Thee,
Which wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.

Holy, Holy, Holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
Though the eye of sinful one's, thy glory may not see:
Only Thou art holy, there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power in love, and purity.

Holy, holy, holy! Blest God Almighty!
All thy works shall praise thy name in earth, and sky, and sea;
Holy, Holy, Holy! merciful and mighty,
God in Three Persons, blessed Trinity!


PRAYER FOR THE DAY
Perfect Light of revelation,
as you shone in the life of Jesus,
whose epiphany we celebrate,
so shine in us and through us,
that we may become beacons of truth and compassion,
enlightening all creation with deeds of justice and mercy. Amen.
—https://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/


PRAYER FOR SCRIPTURE READING
Loving God,
you have called forth disciples and prophets
to live and speak your word.
Give us ears to hear,
lives to respond,
and voices to proclaim the good news of salvation,
which we know in your compassion and mercy.
Blessed are You and blessed is your Kin-Dom,
now and forever. Amen.


FIRST READING
Isaiah 6:1-8, (9-13)
6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple.
6:2 Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their genitals, and with two they flew.
6:3 And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory."
6:4 The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke.
6:5 And I said: "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"
6:6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs.
6:7 The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: "Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out."
6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I; send me!"
6:9 And he said, "Go and say to this people: 'Keep listening, but do not comprehend; keep looking, but do not understand.'
6:10 Make the mind of this people dull, and stop their ears, and shut their eyes, so that they may not look with their eyes, and listen with their ears, and comprehend with their minds, and turn and be healed."
6:11 Then I said, "How long, O Lord?" And he said: "Until cities lie waste without inhabitant, and houses without people, and the land is utterly desolate;
6:12 until the LORD sends everyone far away, and vast is the emptiness in the midst of the land.
6:13 Even if a tenth part remain in it, it will be burned again, like a terebinth or an oak whose stump remains standing when it is felled." The holy seed is its stump.


PRAYER FOR THE HEBREW READING
Holy God, you call your servants to faith, and then you call your servants to service. Cleanse and open our lips that we may declare your praise to the ends of the earth; O Blessed and Holy Trinity. Amen.
—New Collects for Modern Lectionaries: Written for the Sunday and Festival themes in the Revised Common Lectionary.


PSALMODY
Psalm 138
138:1 I give you thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart; before the gods I sing your praise;
138:2 I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness; for you have exalted your name and your word above everything.
138:3 On the day I called, you answered me, you increased my strength of soul.
138:4 All the kings of the earth shall praise you, O LORD, for they have heard the words of your mouth.
138:5 They shall sing of the ways of the LORD, for great is the glory of the LORD.
138:6 For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly; but the haughty he perceives from far away.
138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies; you stretch out your hand, and your right hand delivers me.
138:8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.


PSALM PRAYER
Holy God, exalt your steadfast love and your faithfulness in the souls of your humble servants. As we give thanks now in your holy temple, let us worship you forever in your presence with your holy angels. Amen.
—from the Sarum Rite (16th Century)


SECOND READING
1 Corinthians 15:1-11
15:1 Now I would remind you, brothers and sisters, of the good news that I proclaimed to you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand,
15:2 through which also you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message that I proclaimed to you--unless you have come to believe in vain.
15:3 For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures,
15:4 and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures,
15:5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
15:6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died.
15:7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.
15:8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.
15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me has not been in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them--though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.
15:11 Whether then it was I or they, so we proclaim and so you have come to believe.


PRAYER FOR THE EPISTLE READING
O God, you enlighten all nations. Give your people the constant joy of peace, and pour into our hearts that radiant light you shine into the minds of all who turn to you. Amen.
—from the Gelsian Sacramentary (8th Century)


GOSPEL READING
Luke 5:1-11
5:1 Once while Jesus was standing beside the lake of Gennesaret, and the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God,
5:2 he saw two boats there at the shore of the lake; the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets.
5:3 He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little way from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat.
5:4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch."
5:5 Simon answered, "Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets."
5:6 When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break.
5:7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both boats, so that they began to sink.
5:8 But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!"
5:9 For he and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish that they had taken;
5:10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who are partners with Simon. Then Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching people."
5:11 When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.


PRAYER FOR THE GOSPEL READING
O God, you lead us from the shallows into the depths. And in the deep places where life is challenged with the void of emptiness, you would have us reach out to others. What we find is that abundant life is to be found in loving and caring for one another. Gather us in, O God, in the net of your reconciling justice and peace. Bring us all, alas, to the shore where we would follow you ever more faithfully. Amen.


PRAYER OF INTERCESSION
Holy One, God of all Mercy and Compassion: to you we lift our hearts and minds in prayer.
■ For the Church: that we may be attentive to God’s invitations and allow Jesus to draw our attention away from our fear and limits so that we can respond to all that God asks . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For the growth of faith: that the teaching and ministry of Jesus may be the foundation of our lives and inspire all our words, deeds, and desires . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For a greater recognition of our poverty: that the Spirit of God will help us acknowledge how much we need God, free us to ask for God’s help, and open us to receive God’s wisdom and insight . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For the grace to deeply listen: that we may follow Christ away from the noise and demands of daily life and enter the silent depths of our hearts where we can hear God’s words of life and love . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For all who lead others to God, particularly spiritual directors, retreat masters, and evangelists: that God will inspire their words, open hearts to receive them, and help many to encounter Christ . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For all who are discerning God's call or beginning a new commitment: that God will free them from fear, guide them along the path to life, and help them to trust that God will provide all that they need in life . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For greater trust: that we may rely upon God’s love and providence as we enter the deeper waters of vocation, marriage, parenting and employment . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For an ever-deepening conversion of heart: that the Holy Spirit will help us discover our misdirection, guide us in practicing the teachings of Jesus, and lead us to greater faith, stronger hope, and deeper love . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For all who feel unwelcome or unworthy before God: that God’s unconditional love may heal and free them so that they may live in the freedom of the children of God . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For all who are ill: that God will heal the sick, lift the burden of those with mental illness, inspire healthcare providers with insights, and give strength to their families . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For all who have died: that they may share fully in the new life of the resurrection and live with God forever . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For all who are suffering: that God will protect communities from violence, bring relief to those facing starvation or drought, guide those who are facing the power of nature . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For all participating in the Olympic Games: that they may celebrate the athletic gifts that God has given them and promote a spirit of respect and understanding within the human family . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
■ For peace: that God will inspire those working to reduce tension in Eastern Europe, bring forth new understanding of one another’s concerns, and open new paths for justice and respect . . . God of love, hear our prayer.
—Joe Milner, https://liturgy.slu.edu/5OrdC020622


HYMN OF DEDICATION
Here I am Lord—Daniel L. Schutte
(Click Here For Music)

I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard My people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin,
My hand will save.
I who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear My light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them,
My hand will save
Finest bread I will provide,
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give My life to them,
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.



GOING FORTH
Blessed is God and blessed is God's Kin-Dom.
Go forth as those blessed to be a blessing.
And the blessing of the Holy, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One be with you.
Now and forevermore. Amen.



Newer Post Older Post Home

Celtic Cross

Celtic Cross
Powered By Blogger


THEME

In a world where violence seems to rule, we commit, O God, to small random acts of peace making. Where people are oppressed because they look, act, speak, think or love differently we will affirm their freedom. Where people are exploited because they lack the strength or resources to refuse, we will seek to create alternatives. Where people are controlled through threat and fear, we will offer safety and hope. Where people believe their violence and power give them the right and ability to act as they please we will call them to account. Wherever violence is done to another, through physical force, manipulation of truth, or the subtle workings of power, we will opt out, we will speak out, and we will stand out in opposition, through small, random acts of peace making.



TOTAL PAGE VIEWS



BLOG ARCHIVE

  • ▼  2022 (60)
    • ►  December 2022 (4)
      • ►  Dec 23 (1)
      • ►  Dec 22 (1)
      • ►  Dec 17 (1)
      • ►  Dec 03 (1)
    • ►  November 2022 (4)
      • ►  Nov 22 (1)
      • ►  Nov 18 (1)
      • ►  Nov 09 (1)
      • ►  Nov 05 (1)
    • ►  October 2022 (4)
      • ►  Oct 28 (1)
      • ►  Oct 22 (1)
      • ►  Oct 14 (1)
      • ►  Oct 06 (1)
    • ►  September 2022 (4)
      • ►  Sep 27 (1)
      • ►  Sep 19 (1)
      • ►  Sep 14 (1)
      • ►  Sep 07 (1)
    • ►  August 2022 (5)
      • ►  Aug 30 (1)
      • ►  Aug 26 (1)
      • ►  Aug 20 (1)
      • ►  Aug 11 (1)
      • ►  Aug 04 (1)
    • ►  July 2022 (4)
      • ►  Jul 28 (1)
      • ►  Jul 21 (1)
      • ►  Jul 14 (1)
      • ►  Jul 09 (1)
    • ►  June 2022 (7)
      • ►  Jun 29 (1)
      • ►  Jun 24 (1)
      • ►  Jun 23 (1)
      • ►  Jun 16 (1)
      • ►  Jun 09 (1)
      • ►  Jun 04 (1)
      • ►  Jun 01 (1)
    • ►  May 2022 (4)
      • ►  May 26 (1)
      • ►  May 19 (1)
      • ►  May 12 (1)
      • ►  May 03 (1)
    • ►  April 2022 (10)
      • ►  Apr 27 (1)
      • ►  Apr 21 (1)
      • ►  Apr 17 (1)
      • ►  Apr 16 (1)
      • ►  Apr 15 (1)
      • ►  Apr 14 (1)
      • ►  Apr 13 (1)
      • ►  Apr 12 (1)
      • ►  Apr 11 (1)
      • ►  Apr 07 (1)
    • ►  March 2022 (5)
      • ►  Mar 30 (1)
      • ►  Mar 21 (1)
      • ►  Mar 17 (1)
      • ►  Mar 10 (1)
      • ►  Mar 03 (1)
    • ▼  February 2022 (4)
      • ►  Feb 21 (1)
      • ►  Feb 17 (1)
      • ►  Feb 09 (1)
      • ▼  Feb 02 (1)
        • SUNDAY—February 6, 2022
    • ►  January 2022 (5)
      • ►  Jan 25 (1)
      • ►  Jan 19 (1)
      • ►  Jan 13 (1)
      • ►  Jan 04 (1)
      • ►  Jan 03 (1)
  • ►  2021 (74)
    • ►  December 2021 (8)
      • ►  Dec 31 (2)
      • ►  Dec 26 (1)
      • ►  Dec 21 (1)
      • ►  Dec 18 (1)
      • ►  Dec 17 (1)
      • ►  Dec 08 (1)
      • ►  Dec 03 (1)
    • ►  November 2021 (7)
      • ►  Nov 26 (1)
      • ►  Nov 19 (1)
      • ►  Nov 11 (1)
      • ►  Nov 10 (1)
      • ►  Nov 08 (1)
      • ►  Nov 04 (1)
      • ►  Nov 01 (1)
    • ►  October 2021 (7)
      • ►  Oct 30 (1)
      • ►  Oct 29 (1)
      • ►  Oct 20 (1)
      • ►  Oct 19 (1)
      • ►  Oct 14 (1)
      • ►  Oct 07 (1)
      • ►  Oct 04 (1)
    • ►  September 2021 (5)
      • ►  Sep 30 (1)
      • ►  Sep 23 (1)
      • ►  Sep 16 (1)
      • ►  Sep 09 (1)
      • ►  Sep 02 (1)
    • ►  August 2021 (4)
      • ►  Aug 27 (1)
      • ►  Aug 20 (1)
      • ►  Aug 12 (1)
      • ►  Aug 06 (1)
    • ►  July 2021 (6)
      • ►  Jul 29 (1)
      • ►  Jul 22 (1)
      • ►  Jul 16 (1)
      • ►  Jul 08 (1)
      • ►  Jul 03 (1)
      • ►  Jul 01 (1)
    • ►  June 2021 (6)
      • ►  Jun 24 (1)
      • ►  Jun 19 (1)
      • ►  Jun 10 (1)
      • ►  Jun 07 (1)
      • ►  Jun 05 (1)
      • ►  Jun 02 (1)
    • ►  May 2021 (9)
      • ►  May 31 (1)
      • ►  May 29 (1)
      • ►  May 22 (1)
      • ►  May 20 (1)
      • ►  May 16 (1)
      • ►  May 14 (1)
      • ►  May 11 (1)
      • ►  May 06 (1)
      • ►  May 01 (1)
    • ►  April 2021 (11)
      • ►  Apr 29 (1)
      • ►  Apr 23 (1)
      • ►  Apr 22 (2)
      • ►  Apr 18 (1)
      • ►  Apr 11 (1)
      • ►  Apr 09 (1)
      • ►  Apr 04 (1)
      • ►  Apr 03 (1)
      • ►  Apr 02 (1)
      • ►  Apr 01 (1)
    • ►  March 2021 (9)
      • ►  Mar 31 (1)
      • ►  Mar 30 (1)
      • ►  Mar 28 (1)
      • ►  Mar 27 (2)
      • ►  Mar 25 (1)
      • ►  Mar 23 (1)
      • ►  Mar 18 (1)
      • ►  Mar 09 (1)
    • ►  February 2021 (1)
      • ►  Feb 17 (1)
    • ►  January 2021 (1)
      • ►  Jan 02 (1)
  • ►  2018 (1)
    • ►  December 2018 (1)
      • ►  Dec 31 (1)
  • ►  2017 (1)
    • ►  January 2017 (1)
      • ►  Jan 01 (1)



MY OTHER BLOGS

  • ♦ Worship: The Work Of the People
  • ♦ Liturgy Matters
  • ♦ Eavesdropping On the Heart: My Poetry
  • ♦ GoodBookCellar—Free & Lowest Priced



BLOGS AND LINKS I FOLLOW

  • ♦ + Bp. Peggy Johnson Blogspot
  • ♦ A United Methodist Movement of Faithful Resistance to Anti-LGBTQIA+ Policies and Practice
  • ♦ Black Lives Matter
  • ♦ Human Rights Campaign
  • ♦ Mental Health Ministries
  • ♦ ResistHarm—The New Methodists for a Love Seeking Justice and Liberty
  • ♦ Rev. Dr. Wil Gafney Blog
  • ♦ April Fiet: At the Table
  • ♦ Bosco Peters—Liturgy (Anglican Church, New Zealand)
  • ♦ Cindy Otis
  • ♦ Disability Ministries United Methodist Church
  • ♦ Dr. Jennifer Grace Bird, PhD Website
  • ♦ Faith Matters (facebook site)
  • ♦ Faith@Home
  • ♦ Forward Movement
  • ♦ Fr. Scott Gunn—Exec. Dir. Forward Movement, Cincinnati, OH
  • ♦ Fr. Tim Schenck—St. John's Hingham, MA (TEC)
  • ♦ Global Christian Worship Blog
  • ♦ James Howell Weekly Preaching
  • ♦ Journey With Jesus—Webzine For Global Church
  • ♦ Lent Madness
  • ♦ Liberation Methodist Connexion
  • ♦ Life In Liturgy—CC(DOC) Resources For Worship
  • ♦ Liturgy Link
  • ♦ Maran Tirabassi: Gifts In Open Hands Poetry
  • ♦ Ministry Matters—Resources For Worship
  • ♦ Mother Jones
  • ♦ Oremus—Daily Prayer and More
  • ♦ Progressive United Methodist Clergy
  • ♦ Sacredise—Progressive Liturgical Resources
  • ♦ TextWeek—RCL Worship Resources by Jenee Woodard
  • ♦ The Adventurous Lectionary
  • ♦ theBOOKCellar (Good Books|Great Prices)
  • ♦ Tim Vermande's Blog Site
  • ♦ Vanderbilt University—RCL Worship Resources
  • ♦ World In Prayer—Weekly (Thursdays)



ABOUT ME


As a clergyperson I am an ordained elder (i.e., presbyter, priest, pastor) in the United Methodist Church, now retired as of 07/01/2020. My ministry of preaching began in 1978 as a certified lay speaker. I continued my education, following 3 years of course work at Penn State University in 1972-1975, completing my BA in both Psychology and Religion in 1985 (with honors) at Lebanon Valley College (Annville, PA). I then began my seminary studies at Duke University Divinity School (Durham NC), transferring after my second year to The Theological School, Drew University (Madison NJ) where I graduated magna cum laude with a MDiv degree in 1990. All the while serving churches as a Licensed Local Student Pastor, my first appointment beginning in April 1982. Ordained as a Deacon in 1989 and an Elder in 1991, I have served congregations in rural, small town, and suburban communities. My ministry has always focused on personal and community spiritual growth and wellness, ecumenical relations, the art of preaching, liturgical and sacramental theology and praxis, systems theory and conflict management, and ministry with persons of disability. I am a member of the Psi Chi academic honors fraternity. I am married to a wonderful woman, Mary, who is an ordained pastor in The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) since 1981, and has served congregations in that denomination, the Presbyterian Church (PCUSA), and the United Church of Christ through their covenant relation program. She also has provided pulpit supply in the United Methodist Church. We and our four fur-kids—Dollie Jayne, Bichon and Maggie Lynne, Shih Tzu—[sadly, Mollie Mae crossed the rainbow bridge in October 2020, and Webster Andrew follow in April 2022] enjoy life being involved in various spiritual and community endeavors. I am an advocate for people with disabilities and focus my current study on God and Disability, along with, a Theology From A Context Of Disability. I am also an advocate for equal rights, feminism, womanism, Black Lives Matter, LGBTQAI+ inclusion. As a pacifist, I have always tried to live following in the pathway of Jesus, seeking just peace and economic reform. In a world of billionaires there is no excuse for poverty. In community as it is understood according to the biblical mandate, there must be equal access to all resources and benefits of life. My hobbies include Model Railroading, Reading, Writing, Photography and Music. I share this blog with the hope that something here will inspire the liturgy and worship that you share with your community or in your own journey.



WHY A BLOG?

As a clergyperson with a disability now retired, this is my humble attempt to provide a ministry that some will find helpful. I have always focused on be inclusive and have struggled with the church's tradition of referring to God and humankind with masculine names and pronouns. Since the 1970's, thanks to my dear sister-in-law, I have been aware of the discrimination of women and have worked in the parish and community for equal rights with an equity of access to the resources that add blessing to life. I hope this site is of meaning to those who read it and worship with me and others within it. Peace.


BLOG ARCHIVE

SEARCH THIS BLOG

TRANSLATE

CONTACT FORM

Name

Email *

Message *

FOLLOWERS

GLakeDylan, Copyright © 2021, 2022
All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.